Angkas offers free rush hour rides Tuesday to Thursday

  • Ride-hailing firm Angkas is offering free rides for commuters along the LRT-2 route during rush hours from Tuesday to Thursday.
  • This comes amid the suspended operations in three stations of the LRT-2 after its power rectifiers caught fire last week.
  • The House of Representatives will also hold an emergency meeting to discuss the issue alongside the ongoing traffic crisis in Metro Manila.

Motorcycle-ride hailing firm Angkas announced Tuesday that it is offering free rush hour rides to assist commuters along the Light Rail Transit (LRT)-2 route after the railing system was partially shut down since last week.

(PHOTO FROM ANGKAS' TWITTER ACCOUNT/ MANILA BULLETIN)
Photo from Angkas

Commuters can avail of free rides from Santolan to Recto Station and vice versa, from Tuesday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The railway resumed partial operations today at 6 a.m. in eight of its 11 stations, from Recto, Manila to Cubao, Quezon City, but only five trains are running instead of the usual nine to 10 trains due to limited power supply.

Regulators earlier granted special permits for 89 buses to ferry LRT-2 passengers. 

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said that it will also continuously provide free rides to passengers from Santolan to Cubao and vice versa from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily.

angkas-free-rides-2.png
Photo from Angkas

The line’s operation was shut down last Thursday after its power rectifiers between Anonas and Katipunan Stations, and the one in Santolan depot were damaged after it tripped and caught fire.

The LRT 2 was initially targeted to reopen for “partial operability” by Monday or Tuesday, limited to Recto to Cubao Stations. 

Meanwhile, the House of Representatives is set to tackle the LRT-2 incident through an emergency meeting on Wednesday.

The House Committee on Transportation chaired by Samar 1st District Rep. Edgar Mary Sarmiento will discuss the matter at 1:00 p.m. alongside the traffic management plan with concerned government agencies to combat the traffic crisis in Metro Manila.

The agencies that were invited by the panel were the Department of Transportation (DOTr), the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

Officials of the Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG), the Light Rail Manila Corporation (LMRC), San Miguel Corp-Skyway and South Luzon Expressway representatives, and city bus operators were also asked to face the transportation committee.

The LRT administration previously said that it is asking for at least P430 million from the government to fix the damaged system, which will cover tapping a contractor and replacing the affected parts of the railway.

The LRT 2 is targeted for full operability by June 2020.  -MB

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *