Bong Revilla might get a TV comeback

  • Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. is reportedly going to make his return to GMA-7 in a children’s show
  • Netizens and celebrities alike expressed their ire over the network’s decision
  • Meanwhile, the senator also has a movie yet to be released, and expressed that he wants to work with other A-list artists as well

Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. is reportedly going to make his return to televisions screens and the news has sparked outrage on social media. Some are questioning GMA-7 why they’re allowing the senator – who was jailed for but later acquitted of plunder – to return to television.

Entertainment news site Pep earlier reported that Revilla would make a comeback in GMA-7 through a children’s show. The network has yet to name the program, but it is reported to be a weekly show set to air on Sundays, changing the show “Daig Kayo ng Lola Ko,” a drama-fantasy anthology of the multi-awarded veteran actress Gloria Romero.

via Interaksyon

He last appeared on Kap’s Amazing stories in 2014, the same year he was arrested.

Later, reports emerged that he would be a guest on “The Gift,” a show starring Alden Richards. The hashtag #NoToBongRevillaOnTheGift then trended on Tuesday, November 12.

Netizens disapprove of Revilla’s Return on Television

Former Apo Hiking Society member and strong administration critic Jim Paredes was one of the first people to call out the decision, saying that the airwaves belong to the Filipino people.

In a now deleted post, he also said that GMA can do better than bring the disgraced senator back to television.

“PERA PERA PERA lahat. Ok Lang sa inyo na maging role model siya ng kabataan? C’mon GMA. You can do better than this,” he said.

[Everything is about money money money. Is it okay for you to allow him to be the youth’s role model? C’mon GMA. You can do better than this.]

Spoken word artist and actor Juan Miguel Severo also took to Twitter to express his sentiments, questioning GMA-7’s decision.

“Lol. Alden is a decent guy. GMA better not subject him to the certainly unpleasant experience of working with a plunderer. Malalang backlash ba ang hanap ninyo? (Do you want a huge backlash?)”

“Why is giving Bong Revilla a job even an option for you, [GMA]??? Serbisyong Totoo kamo sa news, pero sa entertainment arm ninyo enabler kayo ng magnanakaw at bibigyan ninyo pa ng mas malaking social capital para sa susunod na eleksyon??? Stick with memeable camp!” he said.

[Your news department goes by the motto ‘Truthful Service’ but the entertainment arm enables a thief and you’re giving him an even bigger social capital for the next election?]

Several of Richards’ fans also help make the hashtag trend and have expressed ire with the decision.

Revilla was formerly accused of allocating P225 million from his “pork barrel” or also known as the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), to fake non-government organizations owned by Janet Lim Napoles.

Revilla, along with then senators Jinggoy Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile, faced plunder charges, which they all denied.

In December 2018, anti-graft court Sandiganbayan acquitted Revilla of plunder after 4 years in detention. The court told Revilla to return P124.5 million to the Philippine treasury. He has not done so.

Revilla got the 11th spot in the Senate during the midterm elections back in May, where he was voted in by over 13 million people.

Meanwhile, the senator also previously expressed his excitement about his upcoming film with “Eat Bulaga” host Maine Mendoza. It is to be released in cinemas as part of Metro Manila Film Festival 2019. Plans for their upcoming movie were already laid out last year. Their film is alleged similar to Liam Neeson’s Taken, and the two would be casted as a father-daughter pair.

Aside from Mendoza, Revilla also said that he wants to work with ABS-CBN stars like Vice Ganda, Pia Wurtzbach, and Catriona Gray.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *