LRT 2 Cubao-Recto operations still closed on Monday

  • Partial operations from Cubao to Recto stations of the LRT 2 will still not resume on Monday.
  • This comes days after fire damaged the railway system along Katipunan Station last Thursday.
  • The LRT 2 Authority had to suspend its operations from Santolan to Anonas stations for nine months.

MANILA, Philippines—Expect another day of braving your commute, as the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRT) 2 will still not resume its operation from Cubao to Recto stations on Monday, October 7.

In a statement on Sunday evening, the LRT 2 Authority announced that they will only resume operations “once the signaling, telecommuncations and power supply systems and the trains are cleared and in normal condition.”

Web-Palace_-Loosened-tie-not-intended-to-disrespect-Russian-Prime-Minister-1.jpg

“We did our best due to the complexity of the problem, we were not able to complete the test runs and safety checks of the telecommunication system today,” said LRT Authority Administrator Reynaldo Berroya.

Berroya stressed that the safety of the passengers is paramount in the delivery of mass rail transit service.

“We cannot compromise the safety of everyone so we need to thoroughly check the integrity and stability of LRT 2 structures and equipment before we resume operations,” he added.

With the operations still closed, LRT 2 noted that there will be 30 Victory buses and 20 modernized public utility vehicles (PUVs) which will be deployed on Monday from 5:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. at Santolan station to ferry affected passengers to Cubao and back. 

“Fares will be from P12 to P15 and these are comparable to the train fare for the same routes,” it said.

There will also be dedicated loading and unloading bays for the PUVs in front of the Santolan Station and near the McDonald’s fast-food chain underneath the Araneta Center-Cubao station. Enroute to Santolan and Cubao, the buses will make stops at Anonas and Katipunan Stations to load and unload passengers.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will also continuously provide free rides to passengers from Santolan to Cubao and vice versa from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily.

On Thursday, a fire damaged a portion of the LRT 2 railway, causing the LRT Authority to suspend operations in its three stations (Santolan, Katipunan and Anonas) for nine months.

0-02-06-b2729f4043404b1afbd41d4aa6d4492b93b4f4a35594ace1d4c5236158b696bb8c32f096.jpg

The LRT 2 was initially targeted to reopen for “partial operability” by Monday or Tuesday, limited to Recto to Cubao Stations. 

The LRT administration previously said that it is asking for at least P430 million from the government to fix the damaged system, which will cover tapping a contractor and replacing the affected parts of the railway.

The LRT 2 is targeted for full operability by June 2020. 

Source: LRT 2 Authority


Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *